The Tiananmen Square Massacre and Chinese Rock

Cui Jian's Having Nothing
Cui Jian’s Having Nothing

We are posting this podcast on June 4th, 2019, the 30th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. We have decided to focus on a song (which is just a poem after all) that was performed for the protesters in the Square and that became the anthem for the movement that, thirty years ago, briefly lit a path for Chinese democracy, before being snuffed out so brutally.

Here is Lee’s Translation of Cui Jian’s “Having Nothing:”

  • 我曾经问个不休 I endlessly asked you
  • 你何时跟我走 When will you go with me?
  • 可你却总是笑我 But you always laugh at me
  • 一无所有 Having nothing
  • 我要给你我的追求 I want to give you what I am seeking
  • 还有我的自由 Give you my freedom, too
  • 可你却总是笑我 But you always laugh at me
  • 一无所有 Having nothing
  • 噢!你何时跟我走?(2x) Oh! When will you go with me? (2x)
  • 脚下的地在动 The earth beneath my feet is shaking
  • 身边那水在流 The water beside me is flowing
  • 可你却总是笑我 But you always laugh at me
  • 一无所有 Having nothing
  • 你为何总笑个没够? Haven’t you laughed at me enough?
  • 为何我总要追求? Why do I always keep seeking it?
  • 难道在你面前 Could it be that in front of you
  • 我永远是一无所有 I will forever have nothing?
  • 噢,你何时跟我走?(2x) Oh! When will you go with me? (2x)
  • 告诉你我等了很久 I told you I waited a long time
  • 告诉你我最后的要求 I told you my last demand
  • 我要抓气你的双手 I want to take your hands
  • 你这就跟我走 Then, you will go with me
  • 这时你的手在顫抖 Then, your hands are trembling
  • 这时你的泪在流 Then, your tears are flowing
  • 莫非你真在告诉我 Could it be that you are really telling me that
  • 你爱我一无所有? you love me having nothing?
  • 噢,你何时跟我走?(3x) Oh! When will you go with me? (3x)

Check out the song on Youtube: https://youtu.be/m7uk0-vlpP0

About the Author

chineseliteraturepodcast@gmail.com

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *